1. In what areas do you manage property?
– Active Real Estate, The Tattersall Team services Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Westlake Village, Lake Sherwood, Agoura Hills, Newbury Park, Moorpark, Camarillo & Woodland Hills.
2. Do you charge me anything up front?
– No, there are no upfront charges.
3. How much money do you keep?
– This depends. Active Real Estate usually keep at least $500.00, enough to repair items. Some landlords want us to keep the security deposit in our Trust Account, so when the tenant vacates, they do not have come up with the money. You tell us what you want.
4. Do you run a credit check?
– Yes, Active Real Estate will run an extensive credit report check to determine the qualification of a prospective tenant. If the prospective tenant has a pulled report already, we also accept their report if it is recent.
5. Are you licensed to sell real estate?
– Yes, JoAnn Tattersallis a licensed real estate broker. Other members on her team are Real Estate Agents. Active Real Estate sells property for our landlords, do 1031 exchanges and work as buyer’s agent.
6. What bills do you pay?
– Active Real Estate will pay any bills that you want to be paid that pertain to the property. Mortgage, HOA, pool, gardener, taxes, insurance. We suggest that the owner maintains as much control over your property as you feel is appropriate, (mortgage, taxes).
7. Do I have to pay for any utilities?
– When your unit becomes vacant, Active Real Estate will put the utilities in your name and the bills will be mailed to our office. The accounting is paid through the Active Real Estate trust account.
8. Where does the money go when you collect?
– All money collected is put into a Trust Account. This account is one checkbook, separated from Active Real Estate’s business accounts.
9. I live out of the area, do I have to come in to your office?
– No, with FAX, e-mail and U.S. mail, the needed paper work can be exchanged without any problem.
10. Will you mail the money to me?
– From Active Real Estate’s trust account, money can be forwarded to you monthly with the breakdown of any & all expenses or direct deposited in to your account.
11. How do you handle evictions?
– When an eviction comes up, we serve the 3 day to pay or quit, if the tenant does not cooperate, we would advise you to obtain an eviction attorney. We can help you find the right attorney specific to your needs.
12. If there is an eviction, do I have to be there?
– No, as your Property Manager, we have the authority to go to court on your behalf.
Working out Bad Tenants: If a problem exists with a current tenant, Active Real Estate will identify the problem and recommend an appropriate solution strategy that works for all parties. If an eviction is the end result, we will recommend, to the owner, an attorney that specializes in evictions in the county the property is located. IN SHORT, Active Real Estate, The Tattersall Team, WILL DO EVERYTHING THE OWNER WOULD HAVE TO DO TO MAINTAIN THE PROPERTY.
13. What if something breaks, do you fix it?
– Our responsibility is to manage the financial interest of your property. We will hire out for repair work to be done when needed.
14. At what point do you call me for expenses?
– When you set up your rental with Active Real Estate, you set the amount of money that can be spent without calling you each time, typically between $300-$500. If an unexpected damage occurs, and therefore expenses are above the approved amount, you will receive an email or phone call authorizing the purchase.
15. What do you do when someone moves out?
– If the property is under Property Management control, we inspect the property for damages, repay the security deposit, order on the utilities, contact the needed vendors to get what is needed repaired, review the Move In Move Out form, and/or painted. We oversee the vendors, pay the vendors, at the right time, start advertising for a new tenant. Or if the owner wants to sell, we will put it on the market for sale.
16. What information do I get at the end of the year for taxes?
– At the end of the year, we will send you a breakdown of all of the costs & expenses throughout the year. We will also send you an IRS 1099 form with the amount of money received from the tenants within the past year.
17. Will the property be advertised?
– Yes, it will be advertised in the Conejo Valley MLS, emailed out to the Conejo Valley Real Estate agents, advertised on social media and sites including but not limited to – Zillow, Realtor, Trulia, Apartments.com, & Westside rentals. We can also run an ad in the Ventura County Star classifieds and The Acorn.
18.Can I choose to rent to non-smokers only?
19. Do I have to rent to people with pets?
20. Do you take HUDSection 8 Vouchers?
-Yes, we would take a HUD section 8 Vouches if the landlord so desires. HUD Section 8 Vouchers – provides subsidies that allows low income families to secure & to be able to afford housing in the private rental market. The section 8 renter pays the landlord a portion of the rent, usually equals 30% of the tenants income. The lower housing authority pays the rest. We would be required to allow an inspection of the rental property by an inspector from the local housing authority.
21. What are your fees?
– There are two basic fees, one is to find a tenant; the other is the monthly charge to manage the unit. The fees vary depending on the type of property and services that you will need from our office. Please call to discuss the fees based on individual needs.
22. OK, I like what I see, what is the next step?
– E-mail us or call The Tattersall Team at 818.991.9931. We will need the address & schedule a time to see the property to determine what needs to be done. If the property is occupied, we will need a letter from you to introduce Active Real Estate, The Tattersall Team to your tenant. Once we have seen the property, we can speak more in depth regarding the next steps.